Thursday, December 15, 2011

How I became a WRITER

I have spent a lot of time and money to be a librarian. I have a Masters to show for my work, but not a job as a librarian. The market is tough, especially in libraries. I am thankful to have a decent job in a mailroom, but it is definitely not library work.

My freshman year in college at Ball State University, I started out as a double major in English and Marketing. I have always loved books, which is why I chose English. I have also always been interested in advertising, which is why I chose marketing. I wanted something that was marketable, something that would hopefully lead to me having a job, which is why I wanted a double major. I knew a BA in English was not likely to be too helpful on the job front. After my first day in Economics my freshman year, I dropped the marketing major to focus on English. I hated the class, the focus on money. I just wanted to learn, to read, to study great works of literature.

After my freshman year, I left Ball State. I didn't want to go to college anymore, I wanted to go to film school. I love movies and I wanted to be a writer/director. Creating art was something I desperately wanted to accomplish. I love all types of movies, all genres. Upon really thinking about it, and learning how much film school costs, I decided not to apply to any schools. I didn't want to do something that I would fail at. Even if I was great, a job in the film industry is VERY hard to get. I didn't want to be anything but the writer/director. I wanted to accomplish my vision, not helping to create someone elses.

I went to community college my sophomore year, then to Anderson University for my Junior and Senior year where I graduated with a BA in English. My plan was to then work. But, I missed school way too much, and wasn't ready for the real world. It was 2008, I should have gotten a job while there still were some. I rushed a late application to Kent State for their MLIS (Master of Library and Information Science) program. I was accepted, and started in the fall.

In the summer of '09, between the two years of my program, the bottom fell out of the economy completely and the OH state budget for public libraries (my specialty) was slashed. Libraries cut jobs and went of hiring freezes. I wanted to work with Teens in public libraries. I love YA lately. Some of the best books written today are in YA.

Since graduating in May, 2010, I haven't found work as a librarian, not even part-time work. I worked a few temp jobs, and now I work in a mailroom in a large law firm. I enjoy that my job doesn't frustrate me, and it pays the bills (barely), so I am thankful for that. I now have the time to write.

For years, I have wanted to write, but I never started (outside of school). I don't really know why. I guess it is easy to dream about things, and not do them. Finally, this October, I decided I would finally do NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). I have wanted to do Nano for years, but never did. I didn't want to try and fail. I didn't just try this year, I succeeded.

My book, Going Public, definitely needs editing, something I am starting soon, but I am proud of my accomplishment. I now know that I can write. Nothing is going to stop me from pursuing this dream now. I am glad that I can write and edit while also working a full time job. I am certain that something will come of it. This is just the beginning of my journey as a writer. Soon, I will be a published author.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you. It sounds like you're doing all the right things and have a great attitude. I wish you the best with your writing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa, this is just the beginning. "You've only just begun"...I hear Karen Carpenter singing to me often in my head.

    ReplyDelete