Sunday, January 29, 2012

Jumping the gun...

     After finishing the first draft of my novel, I was determined to start a blog, join Twitter, and make a name for myself. I'll admit it, I jumped the gun. I still only have a first draft. I am on Chapter Four of Seventeen in editing my novel. I have a ways to go. Instead of focusing on the blog and Twitter in the beginning, I should have been focusing on my novel. I still should just be focused more on my novel.

     The most important thing is to have a finished and cleaned up draft. I am glad that I get a lot of advice about the publishing process and even the editing process from other blogs and Twitter, but I was doing too much reading and not enough doing. You read all the time how in writing that you should "show don't tell" and I need to do a bit more "do don't read" in my life.

     I am making progress. Slow and sure. It is going to be a long process. I will keep updating my blog from time to time and I will be on Twitter. But, I need to make sure I do things in their time. I don't want to be the guy that talks about his novel that he is working on. I want to have a finished novel that I can shop around. Something that I wouldn't be embarrassed if people actually asked to read it.

RESOLUTIONS:

  • Edit! Edit! Edit! Rewrite!
  • Get the novel finished! 
  • Keep up with blog and Twitter but don't make them the focus
  • Continue to read articles and applying advice to the work I am doing 


No comments:

Post a Comment