Sunday, January 15, 2012

Doubts and Motivation

     Last November, I wrote a novel. An entire YA novel. Since then, I read a book about editing a novel, I started this blog, and I made a profile on Twitter and began following authors, publishers, book critics, and editors. I was pumped up about beginning my journey as an author. Then, I went on "Christmas break." I stopped updating my blog, I no longer checked Twitter, and I no longer edited my book. It's now mid-January and I still haven't started back.

My doubts:
  • I doubt my ability to write a novel good enough to get published. 
  • I have doubts that even if I do write something that I am very happy with that I will struggle to find someone willing to publish it. 
  • I have doubts that I have the stamina to keep writing and keep striving towards success. 
  • I doubt that I can succeed. 
     These doubts have lead to a lack of motivation. It is much easier for me to give up before I even try to succeed. In many ways, I just fear failure. Bill Cosby (surely decked out in an awesomely bad sweater) once said, "In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." Granted, I don't know if he actually said this because I found it on the internet, but I like it, so who cares he gets the credit. I try not to focus on negative things, but I can't help it. That's what kept me from even starting a novel for so many years. Now, I have something to work with. I accomplished something great. I finished a first draft of a novel. I have to keep going. I have to see this through.

     Starting right now, with this post. I am back. My blog will be updated from time to time, and I will be on Twitter. Most importantly, I will begin editing my book again. I don't have to do it quickly. I can go with slow and steady. I do have a full-time job and a social life after all. But, becoming a writer is something that I want to do. It is something that only I can make sure that I accomplish. I must keep working towards it.

     Now, I leave us all with a quote from the great and powerful Oprah: "Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness." I really need to keep that in mind as I continue on this long and fulfilling quest to become a published author.

No comments:

Post a Comment